Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010


My knitting resolution for 2010 is: end the year with eight more pairs of socks for myself. Ceiling Cat knows I have enough yarn right now to complete this mission, even without the 


 ¡wollmeise! ♫ ~


which is on its way to me right now. I managed to snag some of the gorgeous Zarte Knospe colour from the Loopy Ewe.





I can't wait for it to arrive, even though it might take a while; the yarn will go from Germany to The Loopy Ewe in America, and then back to me in the UK!


Talking of international yarn orders, I'm also waiting on a custom order and a skein of Naenae to arrive from the amazingly talented dyer Brooklynne (Grrrl Shaped Yarns) in New Zealand. I'll post pictures when they arrive!


I started them in December but I've just finished a pair of Circle Socks, which is a fantastic pattern which looks super-complicated but is in fact really straightforward. Mine are in Regia Crossover colour 04536, and when we get some decent light here and I have a camera to hand I'll photograph them properly. 


Ten minutes after finishing them I cast on for some Hat Heel socks for the husband, who was feeling left out.  So far I have done this much:







I'm loving the technical challenge of these socks. The construction is ingenious. I'm slightly concerned that the husband's delicate petal feet will suffer from the "seam" where the stitches are picked up, but we won't know about that until he's wearing them. I chose this pattern because the socks are mostly black and there's no way I was going to knit a plain toe-up sock in black yarn without getting bored and throwing the project behind the sofa in a sulk. Right now I'm thinking that they're great fun but I won't knit another pair; maybe the heel and gusset sections of the second sock won't involve four hours of staring at the pattern, then my knitting, then the pattern again, and using a creative and varied selection of swear words.

No comments: