So this time last year, I was dimly aware of Socktoberfest thanks to being a reader of Lolly's blog. It didn't seem very interesting to me though as at that point I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to knit something as tedious as socks. Well. I mean, socks are great to wear, but you have to knit them in the round with skinny yarn and tiny needles. So much talk in the online knitting community is about socks, and I skipped over it mostly.
Anyway. Earlier this year, while shopping with Emma at All The Fun Of The Fair in London, I bought a Tropical Fish Zauberball.
And as Emma was showing me how to crochet, and flashed her awesome crocheted socks, I had a brainwave.... and I crocheted this:
It is a sock! And it uncomfortable and too long for my foot and the crochet "ribbing" is terrible (front loop back loop triple crochet is NOT RIBBING) and the yarn is fabulous but unfroggable because it's a single and it felts to itself. So my sock mojo left me for a while.
And then I suddenly got the urge to try and knit socks. I made these with bamboo yarn I bought on ebay which is gorgeous yarn but frankly cursed, because I've tried and failed to knit with it so many times.
They are far too big and the toes don't fit properly and they have a hole after one wearing. BUT DAMMIT, I WAS HOOKED.
So I bought some nice charcoal Regia sock yarn and made some toe socks for Husband. Then I bought some seriously fugly yarn in a post office and overdyed it purple and made another pair for me. And after three knits from the same pattern I had started to learn what to do and how to be sure they fit and then I bought some 2.5mm needles, and then some 2mm needles and.... and.... and....
.... now it is Socktoberfest and because I pretty much knit socks and not much else at the moment I thought I'd join in! My goal was to knit a pair of socks for me in one month. It's the 17th today and I'm almost done. (I'll post photos when they're finished.) So I'm expanding my goal to finish another pair of socks I started while I was on holiday. And if I finish those then I have another two pairs I'm working on.
I never thought I'd say this, but it's a good thing my feet get cold easily!




1 comment:
Hey lady! You haz blog! Was about to tell you to come to the blog group, but you already have! Wootedy woot :oD
Glad to meet your blog, it's cute :oD
Also: write stuff.
Mimi x
Post a Comment